:: Home
:: About us
:: Photo's
:: References
:: Promotional
:: Trade
:: Lynx article
:: Crow article
:: Prices / sale item
:: Predator calling info
:: Contact us

View Personal Photo Gallery

  Click on links below to download file.

Rooikat / Lynx Calling (PDF)

California - USA / Predator Club Reference (PDF)

What is the Biggest Predator's Hunting Secret !! Click here to find out!!
International Hunts

Download international booking information

Free Online Course


Cat Killers!

These calls are an awesome addition to anybody’s call collection, so collecting or calling they are awesome!

Click here to download information.

Back to Predator Calling Info <<

HUNTING LAWS 2009 for Jackal & Lynx



 Western Cape night-hunting laws have changed; here are the facts! NOTE: Read the questions I ask NC at the end.


Here is a scenario: I go to a friend’s farm (he owns the farm), I have a hunting license (R170-00 per year), and my friend also has one (in spite of the fact that he owns the farm). I also need a permit from Nature Conversation that gives me permission to hunt his farm at night, but when we are at the farm his friends invite us next door to also shoot jackal – OOPS! I can’t!!!!!! I must first apply at NC for a permit to hunt that night next door, and I am sitting miles into the bush in the Karoo, so I can’t LEGALLY hunt. Or my friend has a license and a permit but not me, so I must stay at home and talk to the farmer’s dogs instead of going hunting. Although it is his property or his friend’s property they cannot have a say regarding who hunts the farm, UNLESS they first have legal permission from Nature Conservation.

Crazy? BUT TRUE!!!

THE REAL STORY on the new law.

Here is the deal, the real deal on the new laws. For every farm you hunt you need a permit to call jackal and lynx, even if you own that farm and want to call, you need a permit. So, you want to hunt a friend’s farm, and you get a hunting license of R170-00 and a letter from the farmer (the owner of that farm) saying you can hunt his land; you then fill in a form that you get from Nature Conservation called an APPLICATION FOR A PERMIT TO HUNT WILD ANIMALS BY MEANS OF A PROHIBITED HUNTING METHOD.

You then fill that in and attach his letter, you send it to NC and they will maybe issue a permit. It is good for a single hunt! NOT ALL YEAR! Then you can hunt THAT SPECIFIC FARM legally. Every other farm at other times will cost you R80-00 extra per permit in the Western Cape. Before they issue that permit NC first needs to be assured that the target animal is indeed the culprit and will investigate that matter before the issue of any permit takes place. See Question 4  below

Now some of you are saying, man it is a money making business and just directed at making it harder for gun owners, farmers and the general hunter?? Right??? Well you decide. BUT to me it seems very close to the last renewal firearm applications, which are due in 2009. Seems one thing just ended and now amazingly more documents seem warranted to do with hunting and GUNS AGAIN; amazing it is always GUNS that get a bad wrap! How about 6000 people who die in South Africa because of drunken driving a year, BUT I don’t hear them saying we must now put pressure on alcohol? Or ban cars and bakkies or get a driving permit for every road we use??? Simply put, to me it is a matter of a SOFT TARGET as they know the majority of us will comply, however many also believe that laws are meant to be broken – just as it’s illegal to drive and use a cell phone at the same time, BUT as you read this 10,000 people are doing that!

Anyway, you read between the lines and make your own decisions, BUT whatever you do, make sure you get a valid permit to call your farm, or a friend’s farm, otherwise they can easily impound  your equipment and bakkie etc. Rather go the legal route and not give anybody any reason to point fingers at the firearm, hunting sector. When you get stopped by an official give him 3 things, simply hand him a R170-00 licence paper and your legal permit and a letter from the farmer giving you permission, then they can do you no harm. You then don’t need to make any further conversation.

Whatever you do, – PLEASE DON’T take a chance; respect the law, no matter what you think about it. A red light can be seen for miles, and if you are caught you can lose everything, and an example will be made of you. As much as I find this saga tiresome - I will respect it, as I have far toooooo much to lose.

My general night hunt set up is worth a little money and I cannot afford to see it impounded. Truck & Fuel, Electronic callers x3, Swivel chair with extras, Rifle, scope Ammunition, Night sights, vision, red lights, Urines, batteries and odds, truck camo,UV protected camo etc, and this totals up to a good total of bucks, money I spent to carry out my business professionally, and I can’t afford to blow it and have it taken away.                 

Here is a photo of the form you need to submit to NC with a letter from the farm owner. You deposit the money into the account and attach your deposit slip with your reference name or number. They can mail it to you.  NOTE- BECAUSE YOU APPLY DOES NOT MEAN YOU WILL GET A PERMIT!  Read the questions below.



Here is a letter I wrote to NC and I ask questions, you can read the reply. Pay special attention to part 1-C in his reply, and also take note of question no 4. I marked them with ************

  1.     A) The document mentions that this is in regards to Black-Backed jackal and Rooikat; my question is do all the other animals on the hunting proclamation law and ways to hunt them remain the same as before?

Attached please find a copy of the 2008 and the 2009 hunting notices.  A comparison of the two notices will show the differences between the two hunting seasons.  You will note in comparison that amendments regarding baboon, rock dassie, bushpig, hares / rabbits, Egyptian goose, grey duiker, caracal and black-backed jackal have been made.  Most notable is with regard to the removal of certain prohibited hunting methods (column 5).

 B) All the other animals on the proclamation besides the black-backed jackal and Rooikat - can they still be hunted with a normal hunting license and no permit?

The 2009 hunting season for all species is as contained in the attached Provincial Notice for 2009, which may be hunted with a hunting licence (and the property owner's written permission) as per the hunting notice.



 c) It says all animals NOT on that proclamation, will be R500-00 per application, so crows will require me to pay R500-00 for each species per farm? Right?
I'm not sure what "it" (document) you are referring to but I assume that you are referring to the tariff list for 2008 (attached).  The current fee to SPORT hunt any protected animal for which there is no season (i.e. that species doesn't appear on the hunting) is R500 per permit.  It is important to note, firstly, that this is an APPLICATION fee, and, secondly, an application (and payment of an application fee) does not guarantee that a permit to hunt the animal(s) applied will be issued.  Please also note that the permit to hunt is issued per hunt.  These tariffs will be reviewed early in 2009 and the new fees for the 2009 / 2009 financial year will be announced round about 1 April 2009.
If the hunt is NOT for sport hunting and is intended as a mechanism or management intervention to mitigate or control damage caused by a damage causing animal (Damage Causing Animal) to crops or livestock by selectively removing an individual or selectively removing several animals of the targeted species in that area (where the damage occurred) then a permit to hunt a specific amount or animals can be applied for.  The current application fee is R80 per application.


2.     I need a permit for every different farm I hunt on??????????

For a DCA permit that depends on if the damage occurred on more than one property.  If it is the same hunt then more than one farm can be listed on that permit for the period specified.  Note though that written permission from the landowner(s) is required for each hunt.

3.     How long is the permit valid? 1 year ?

Sport hunting permits are valid for the duration of the hunt and DCA permits are usually valid for two weeks.  The period for the DCA permit is flexible and depends on various factors (i.e. mitigation / control measures already attempted, currently in place or envisaged, the species responsible, the damage caused, the control method used etc.)



4.    How do you intend to validate the farmer’s loss factor if he says he has loss?

We will be guided by the information supplied by the property owner who has suffered the loss(es), which will be verified by an initial crop / livestock damage inspection by a CapeNature official.  CapeNature will in all likelihood also rely on advise and recommendation from the local agricultural representatives / unions.\

5. How long does it take for me to get a permit?

If you are referring to a permit to hunt a DCA then we try to have the permit issued ASAP.  The WCP is a large province and some farms are in very remote areas, which makes an immediate response difficult.  CapeNature is, however, sensitive to losses suffered by farmers caused by DCAs and will prioritize such applications accordingly.  CapeNature is currently liaising with Agricultural Unions in this regard to find a solution that suites all parties.

6. How often do you meet with all the farmers to get confirmation of the facts I have submitted to you?

I'm not clear what "facts submitted" you are referring to but CapeNature staff meet quite regularly with individual farmers as well as farmers unions.  There was in fact a meeting as recently as last week between CapeNature and Agri-Wes Kaap to discuss this matter.  A press release pursuant to this meeting will follow soon.

7. How much is the permit? R80-00 ?

See answer at question 1(c).

8. Is it still legal to use red lights and calls at night when this is made law on Dec 31st???

Hunting at night and with artificial lights is a listed prohibited hunting method in terms of section 29 of our Ordinance (copy attached) so to hunt with this method will require a permit issued by CapeNature (i.e. a licence will no longer suffice).

9.  Does a farmer need a permit to hunt BB Jackal and Lynx on his own farm?

Not if he's hunting using ordinary hunting methods (i.e. not using any of the prohibited hunting methods listed in section 29 of the Nature Conservation Ordinance, copy attached) or a cage trap.  If he uses any other method or wishes to exceed the daily bag limit set out in the hunting notice then a permit from CapeNature is required.

10. How come if this is to be made law at the end of December it has been kept so quiet? Now we only have a few days to get all the paperwork together? It should have been publicised more widely

There has been no attempt at all to keep the amendments to the hunting notice quite?!  The amendments to the hunting notice come into effect on 1 January 2009.  The amendment to the hunting notice was in fact published on 21 November 2008 and was broadly covered in the media (newspapers, radio and TV).

Just a comment here on this answer at No 10, I was at a gunshop in the Western Cape this past weekend ( 13 December) – I spoke to the manager in the shop, whom I have known for many years.  I told him about these laws soon to be made concrete, and HE HAD NO IDEA WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT, HE HAD NOT HEARD A THING ON TV, OR IN ANY MEDIA PUBLISHED MANNER, so here is a gunshop in the WC and even they have no idea about this new law!!!!!!!!


Here is my answer to these answers above I got from NC and the reply I received again after this final question

My reply to these answers:

Thank you for the reply.

One last question, so what you are saying is every time I go out to hunt jackal I need to get a permit, even if it’s at the same farm, but two weeks apart. What I am trying to understand is that you are telling me that every time I go hunt a jackal I must get another permit as it’s a different target animal? Right??? So the permit does not allow me to pay R80 and I hunt all the jackal on that farm for a year.???



Dear Mr Laubscher

As from 1 January 2009 if you are hunting jackal and use any prohibited hunting method ( ie at night) then yes, you will need a prohibited hunting method permit per hunt. The permit will not be valid for the entire year nor will it cover the entire Province. The hunting permit will be issued, upon evidence of stock losses caused by a specific animal,to hunting a specific amount of animals, on a specific farm and for a specific period of time, it is not annual or open ended like a hunting licence. You cannot hunt at night with a hunting licence.



With this new development I can promise you this that it will have a bad impact on business generated from hunting problem animals. Many farmers will now stop people coming to the farm and calling, because they don’t want to buy permits and that it will possibly take days to get a permit given the generally poor service found in most areas of the business sector in SA. It will have a bad impact on the conservation field, as now fewer people will call and remove jackals, so the numbers will escalate far more than before. In my opinion this was short-sighted and more than likely thought up by some person totally ignorant as to what is actually going on in the Karoo and how predation is at an all-time high, and this will just put more of a dark cloud over the issue; it will not help conservation at all, only make it worse to control. I can already see the difference in the sales aspect of my business, as in two weeks enquiries on sales of items have dropped by a large margin.

I was also informed by a reliable source that soon the jackal hunter will have to become accredited at a SETA etc; I am surprised that we don’t have a law here in SA that says we need to have a transportation permit every time we take the rifle in a car, or a transportation permit every time we drive on a road with alcohol in the boot since it kills 6000 people a year!!!!!!!!!

I have already lost more than 5 farms as the farmers say LOS MAAR, as they can’t be bothered going to all that trouble and after a few days must again apply for more permits and this will cost TONS of money to control VERMIN, so you are throwing away good money to pay for permits to kill jackal, and then you are still losing more money from jackal killing stock, and now it will just get even worse. No, this is to me simply very short-sighted indeed.

I am now considering action for loss of income, and making all necessary enquiries, as this is my business that is now taking a severe knock. It also is affecting many other people who control predation not to speak about many farmers!  This law is to take effect January 1, 2009 but I have already felt the effects it is having.

Nature Conservation has this to say in the answer they sent to me: “Cape Nature is sensitive to the plight of farmers suffering stock losses”- my question is what does the farming community think about that?  

I have much more that I want to say about this issue but cannot here, BUT I am sure that a few of you fellow farmers, callers and professional jackal hunters will agree, the person who thought up all this has no idea what is actually happening in the Karoo and exactly how predators are a problem to most if not all stock farmers; they are not game animals that are controlled, they are vagabonds that travel all over, and time is everything when calling vermin, and waiting on permits will never work, like my dad used to say “ It is like wanting to put up a fence, but the bull has run away a long time ago”


  1. Get a written letter from the farmer to be on his property and shoot predators

  2. Fill in the APPLICATION form with your info and farm info

  3. Pay money to Nature Conservation – R80-00 per hunt

  4. Send them the form.

  5. They will contact the farmer and investigate the claims.

  6. When they are happy - they issue permit for a SINGLE HUNT and when you hunt again at night you must apply again. (And pay again)


  1. Hand official a hunting licence ( R170-00 )

  2. Hand official your permit for that hunt

  3. Hand official a written letter of permission from the farmer to be on his ground for that hunt.



 So lets say if you hunt 50 nights a year or more, or let’s say you hunt like me, easily 8 times a month on 8 different farms, so 8x 12 months is 96 hunts a year, so I need 96 permits at R80-00 each, so to hunt jackal will cost me R7,680-00 a year!!!!!!! On permits to shoot vermin!  How many farmers do you know who are going to pay that and for every other hunt each time? And then they must pay for all the jackals shot also as well as the hunters standard rates??????? They won’t have any profit left in stock farming at all, or many of them anyway.

What I find unrealistic is that it can be dictated to you what you must do within the borders of your own ground with regards to vermin, when what you are removing is vermin and not game that can benefit others, and now the sheep or game you did have will become even less from Jan 1st because of these laws. I fully understand wild game - game that’s purchased to be placed on game farms etc, BUT jackal and lynx – that is like saying we need a permit to shoot rats on our property as they are also vermin, they also are vagabonds that travel, anyway this is just my opinion on a system that seems very unrealistic and UNFAIR. So, they will send out a person from NC to verify stock loss etc, so everyday hundreds of people are going to visit farms in the Karoo to see stock damage etc? How will this ever work.

And to close, do you know that in the Northern Cape you don’t need a hunting licence or a permit to hunt jackal or lynx, NO NOTHING! Just a letter from a farmer! Amazing, that here it is different from Jan 1st – 2009. Thanks for reading this.




All contents copyright 2008. African Predator.